Monday, September 22, 2008

wrongs made right by the right

I just finished reading a really short article out of a town in Wisconsin that made me want to stand up and cheer for the American justice system. No, I’m not being sarcastic. I suppose it is just some of the surprisingly extreme conservative views I have, but I love nothing more than a government that is big on crime.

The little blip of an article that I was routed to from CNN.com was about a man who stole a piggy bank with about $20 in it from a child’s room. Due to blood left at the scene of the crime, the piggy purloiner was found and convicted of this and another robbery. For both, the man will serve 2 consecutive 6 year sentences. Turns out $20 nowadays can get you a lot more than it used to, about 12 years in the pokey and all the soap on a rope you can get your slippery hands on. Thanks to the old geezers on C-SPAN and the occasional hot hockey mom, the Grand Old Party does come through on certain occasions.

This stringent form of justice should hopefully deter miscreants who believe that the laws of civilized society are below them. Pickpockets and robbers of Wisconsin beware, it turns out ‘America’s Dairyland’ is serving up some sharp cheddar sentences. I am proud to live in a state that believes in the merits of capital punishment and other penal policies that strive to serve as deterrents of further atrocious manifestations of the flaws in humanity. Yes, some people argue that the harsh severity of certain punishments don’t serve as any deterrent, but in my opinion the one ‘deterred’ individual is the proof in the pudding, and this justice is quite delicious!

So, listen up bleeding heart liberals who believe in so-called rehabilitation, ‘humane’ punishments, and other alternatives to more stringent forms of justice, I’ll end by stealing a line, ‘don’t do the crime, if you can’t do the time!’

No comments: