Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oh, Al.

I know the time may have passed, but can I please encourage everyone who reads this to write to their local congressman or senator to include a new item in the stimulus package? I don’t care if it costs $1 billion in itself, but can we make Al Sharpton either shut up forever or just go away?!

You know, historically there may have been comparisons to certain primates as a way to denigrate African Americans, but it’s the year 2009. Oprah (who I hate) rules daytime, legislation continually is expanding the fight for equality in civil liberties, and… oh yeah… we have elected the 1st African American President. I would say the playing field is pretty level nowadays.

My point//problem: last week, the New York Post published an arguably ‘controversial’ political cartoon. It showed two cops shooting a chimp with one saying, “They’ll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill.” Who knows exactly what this cartoonist, Sean Delonas, really was thinking, but Mr. Sharpton and the NAACP, racist or not, what happened to free speech?

Just as long as racism has been around, people have been mocking politicians. I don’t know if these two pastimes have convened on this cartoon, but who cares? Last time I checked, cartoonists EVERYWHERE were comparing George W. Bush to monkeys all the time!!! Why is it different now?

Al Sharpton, you and your ilk are EVERYTHING that is wrong with the fight for civil liberties for any and all social/ethnic/cultural groups everywhere. You make the fight for equality equivalent to pulling hair and throwing stones on the playground. Go away!

PS – I don’t wanna get on my gay soap box, but while I’m up here, last time I checked you could get married. The definition of a ‘hate crime’ or hiring discrimination is designed to encompass your race (not every state has such laws). So, shut up!

No comments: