Tuesday, January 20, 2009

is it over yet?!?!

Ok, I can’t say that I have never hopped aboard a passing band wagon, but I absolutely refuse to get caught up in the nationalistic craze that is Barack Obama. I have been pushed to the point of nausea at the amount of press, celebrity involvement, and idolatry for this man.

He is the 44th President of the United States, not a rock star. I think it is retarded that millions of people are flocking to DC to witness this inauguration. I mean where were all these people back in 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004? All of these men who have won Presidential office in the past were intelligent (arguably), qualified (somewhat) politicians who campaigned victoriously. I don’t remember everyone going gaga over this and turning this day into this hot mess of a frenzy like this year.

Yes, this is an historic day, but when all the confetti gets swept away and the speeches are over, what are you left with? Just a man. A man who has the weight of a crippled economy, an unpopular war, and countless other national burdens on his shoulders. So, while everyone else is staring at their televisions through rosy red glasses, those with any bit of intelligence will be sitting, waiting, and wishing Obama will deliver on all those speeches during the race.

As I stare at the countless articles on the web and televised/streaming media coverage, I can’t help but think the only reason it is such a big deal is because he is Black. I cannot deny the historical significance of this election, but it seems to be only focus. When I look back on the history books 30 years from now, I won’t give a flip what the color of his skin was. I want to know if he followed through on his promises for ‘change.’

Finally, the pessimist in me can’t help but see what happens when America doesn’t end up on top. American citizens love to build up an individual to celebrity status and place them on a pedestal just to watch them fall off it. When we aren’t out of Iraq and the DOW isn’t soaring before the helium is out of the inaugural balloons, I feel that stupid Americans who followed him blindly will feel fooled and robbed of their so-called hope.

Good luck, Big O! You’re gonna need it!

No comments: