Monday, June 23, 2008

It's a party!


Regardless of the media outlet, we live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with marketing campaigns, advertising pitches, and the latest thing that will change your life for $19.95. This being said, I have made my peace with 99% of commercials that flash across the tube, stream through the airwaves, and are interspersed in my US Weekly. However, that 1% has caused me to pick quite the bone.

This might be a gross topic (exactly my primary problem with the commercials), but is it absolutely necessary to continue to air tampon commercials? I know they are a vital part of surviving the female condition, but if I know it, they must too! Your target demographic is well informed about such products, so why waste more of your advertising budget to explain what is already known to some and just gross/annoying to the rest?

Also, I’m not sure if the ladies agree with me, but why is that Tampax has to make your period look like a party? Obviously, I’ve never experienced one, but let me tell you, ‘menstrual cycle’ sounds like anything but a spa treatment. It seems like a slap in the face to have these actresses in commercials Salsa dancing, riding bikes, and playing beach volleyball while they are supposedly on their periods. Worse is when they show the actual product dance or fly across the screen! It’s not that fun, period!

One minor complaint about such media is the faux-graphicness of the demonstration. We all know what they’re used for, must you pour blue liquid all over them to show absorbent they are? In a word, NO!

So, tampon manufacturers far and wide, save yourself a few bucks and stick to print ads localized in the more female aimed Cosmo, Jane, and Redbook magazines. Please save us the 30 seconds of dancing, singing, and laughing that is just my #1 reason for having TiVo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! All of a sudden it is a blast to be on your period because you are using a certain name brand product. I have never felt like dancing during my period, however, I do feel like throwing my danicing shoes at the TV when that commercial comes on!