Thursday, May 15, 2008

Where the $#%^ am I?!?!

Parents are like Yahoo! Huh? Yeah, that’s what I thought before I really thought about it… Don’t worry. This isn’t a crazy, reaching analogy. (Keep reading!)

As a child, your parents seem like these all knowing beings who can answer just about any question you may have. Mothers especially can seem to answer just about anything you can ask with 4 simple words: “Because I said so!” Now, that annoying finale to a line of questioning aside, it’s true. Until your dreams were crushed and life as you knew it was completely altered, your parents would manipulate you with the idea that an all-knowing/seeing fat man was judge and jury in regards to your behavior. For the weeks before Christmas, we were under Santa’s proverbial thumb via proxy. Conversely, we type words and phrases in one small text box and hopefully find all the answers to our questions. Whether it’s stocks, health, or celebrity gossip, Yahoo! knows EVERYHTHING! Most people put a lot of stock into what they read too, because Yahoo! said so.

Moreover, parents are A LOT like Yahoo! Maps. If you’re new to an area, on vacation, or going somewhere you’ve never been, simple directions, step-by-step instructions, and a colorful map are just a click away. Similarly, a huge chunk of life is exploring the unknown, experiencing new things, and, more often than not, being lost. Where will I be in 5 years? 1 year? Tomorrow!? The rooms behind the doors we haven’t yet opened are filled with… well, who knows?! Therefore, we lean to those who are older and wiser to offer us a little insight into what lies ahead. Most of the time, this happens to be our parents. Their advantage in years has, hopefully, garnished them wisdom on what one should and should not do.

Now, I love my parents and I love Yahoo! However, they both have their flaws. I don’t know how many times I’ve looked up directions with the intent to find the quickest, easiest route to a destination. Cut to me stuck in traffic, construction, and/or cursing at a printout that’s telling me to turn in 3.45 miles on a road that doesn’t exist! Blarg!

Although they may have seemed like it, parents don’t know everything anymore. They can’t anticipate all the bumps along the road. They can give you the best advice they possibly can and nothing more but pray for your safe journey. In turn, you can take or leave their advice. I don’t know how many times I thought I knew a shortcut and threw my directions in the back seat. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I’m scrambling to find the printout that I so heedlessly disregarded to the floorboards. I guess the one advantage of Yahoo! is that no one can say ‘I told you so!’ Point, Yahoo!

So, the next time you’re out on the open road (whether literally or along the lines of this cleverly constructed analogy), consult your resources, judge the validity of the disseminated information, and go for it.

No comments: