Friday, May 16, 2008

1 step forward, 3 steps back

California takes one step forward. Americans take 3 steps back. I recently read an article on MSNBC that California Supreme Court has legalized gay marriage. Personally, I don’t know exactly where I stand. The me that ‘was’ and the me that ‘might be’ possibly may have to come to blows on this issue at some point. The former understands exactly what marriage is (or was) and all of the civil, familial, and religious responsibilities therein. However, the latter might actually find someone that he would like to spend the rest of his life with and not just in ‘friends’ or ‘roommates’ capacity. But, at this point in my life, that seems like a story better told by some sort of Science Fiction writer... As of now, I am focused on the me that is (and more importantly, what 'me' thinks)…

There is an inherent mystery that some of the wisest words I’ve ever heard were immediately followed by a downpour of unforgivably unintelligent comments. One of the assenting stated, “Our state now recognizes that an individual's capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person and responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individual's sexual orientation.” Wise words. Unfortunately, these words opened the flood gates of stupid.

Plans have already been put in motion to revoke the Court’s decision via a ballot in November. I just am wondering what the driving force behind this fervor is. Why have groups banned together and invested their time, energy, and hatred to oppose something that doesn’t necessarily affect them whatsoever?! The simple (and stupid) answer is to protect the sanctity of marriage. Well, unfortunately, that ship is sailed so far away that it’s probably being explored by Ariel and Flounder on the bottom of the Atlantic. I read a comment on a related article stating that male and female residents of California will have to travel out of state to get a sanctified marriage. What the potatoes?! Sure, pack up and road trip it 5 hours to Nevada and get married by an overweight Elvis impersonator at 3 am on the Las Vegas strip. That would be damn sanctified. Also, be sure to RSVP to that wedding invitation that was conveniently packaged with the Baby Shower the following week. Or, stop by a Law Office that specializes in Family Law and witness two sanctified divorcees fighting over vacation houses, cars, and who gets Billy at Christmas.

I am so completely over the Sanctity argument, I have no words. Well, actually I do (hence the blog). I will, however, give my typing fingers and Blog readers a rest if these same groups go picket their values so conveniently wrapped in hatred at every shot-gun wedding that was the result of a busted condom, at every divorce hearing, and every chapel in Las Vegas catering to drunken fools 'in love'. Maybe, just maybe, then their argument would hold some weight. Ok, can someone give me a hand? (I don’t wanna fall as I step off my soap box.)

No comments: