Friday, December 31, 2010

Unresolved.

New Year’s resolutions are stupid.  There.  I said it.

On the heels of the holiday season gluttony, everyone tries to come up with ways to improve themselves.  A new year means a new me?  No.  I am a firm believe that at this point in my life, I’m pretty much the best version of me I’m ever gonna be.  Not great.  Definitely not perfect.  Let's call it 'good enough.'

Could I watch less TV, spend less money on useless crap, and/or stop using ‘the C word” when driving in traffic with such relish and fervor?  Probably. Will I?  Most. Definitely. Not.

Making up resolutions is just an annual exercise in guilt, shame, and hating yourself every February.  If you haven’t lost the weight, kicked the habit, or learned something new by now based solely on your ability to self-motivate, do you really think a new year will instantly make you want to be a better person?  I doubt it.


This my be really cynical, but I have very little faith in the common person's ability to better themselves, especially if they are merely doing it as part of a yearly craze that sweeps the nation like the Cupid Shuffle at wedding receptions.  The best time to be a better person is when you are ready to nut up and do it, not January 1st, Lent, or any other self-control based tradition.

So, to all of you who make New Year's resolutions, you get my blessing, a ‘good luck,’ and (in 5-7 weeks) a well-intentioned ‘I told ya so!’

Everyone have a wonderful New Year and don't change anything about who you are!

PS - on a somewhat related note, resolutions are also stupid small talk fodder and/or an excuse for backdoor bragging.  The latter you think I would be OK with...

UPDATE - Come February, I'm gonna make a YouTube video with my 'toldyaso' dance so you can send it to everyone you know who reneged on their resolutions.  Keep an eye out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned, long ago, making New Years resolutions is the best way to take an introspective look at yourself and just give your ego the finger.

Katie said...

Yup!

Ashalee said...

Definitely understand where you are coming from. I believe everybody has different motivations. While some may need a personal trainer or coach to motivate them or if they need a new start, whether it is a day, a week, a month or a year.

John said...

I just have issue that people think this motivation will come just because of the New Year.

On a related note, when people are always like '2011 will be the best year yet!' I get that it is a hopeful saying, but chances are, it is just another year that will have its usual ups and downs, and hopefully no one you know will die.

From now on, I'm just gonna say '2011 maintain the status quo!'

salwa said...

I followed you over from The Bloggess and I TOTALLY AGREE. F that resolution noise!

John said...

A lot of noise. I'm definitely preparing a 'told ya so' song + dance. I should probably post it on my blog via youtube and that way I can go viral and it would save people the time of having to tell their friends themselves...