Friday, March 13, 2009

Just call me “Petty”

Ok, there are plenty of things in the world that are horrible evils that make people gasp and, rightfully so, judge the offender. However, there is a whole other world of petty, tiny, insignificant things that still drive us up the wall! Some would call them pet peeves, but they’re smaller than that. Most pet peeves are derived from justified annoyance/inconvenience. For the most part, mine come from some place deep down inside me that just wants to complain. I can’t help it, I wish I didn’t lie awake at night thinking about them, maybe it means I’m OCD, but in terms of acronyms, I think I’m just B.

It drives me completely insane when there is a microwave that has a flashing leftover 14 seconds or some arbitrary number instead of the time. I can’t explain it, but the root of this evil might lie in my father. He likes to punch in 1 minute and simply open the door and take out what is probably ice cream and leave the leftover seconds to taunt me. It was one of the happiest days of my life to move out and get my own microwave that my father couldn’t torture me with.

iPhones. I am an avid Apple fanatic, but for some reason I just can’t get on board with this nationalistic craze. I actually judge iPhone users who tap away at their glass touch screens looking at everything from maps to where their friends are (creepiest Application EVER!). I cannot deny their inherent awesomeness. Apple practically reinvented the cell phone. I just hate them. I will NEVER own them. May Celine Dion lose her voice before I ever own an iPhone.

The way Paula Abdul claps on American Idol.

Anybody have similar unfounded, slightly unreasonable, extremely insignificant annoyances that make you grind your teeth?

1 comment:

Gina said...

When people use two different kinds of ink on the same page of paper. For instance, you start your to-do list with a black ball point pen and then later must add a task and can find nothing but a blue gel pen. I will re-write my entire list (and I carry entire notebooks instead of individual sheets of paper for just this reason).

When people say they "cook" but they really mean they combine pre-prepared ingredients such as cheese, pre-made dough, pre-made sauce and canned toppings to make a pizza.

Fat people who give dieting advice because they've "read it somewhere".

People who are lazy parents- though, I guess that one isn't petty, its reasonable to be annoyed at that.

Good post!